Friday, July 8, 2011

How do you really feel about Instagram??

iPhoneography, Androidography, photographers seem to love using their phones as cameras.  Then in steps Instagram.  With the ability to edit in camera, Point and Shoots will either have to evolve or go the way of the dinosaur.  And we're starting to see some evolve.  I talked about the TOS many sites are abusing users with, so I'm not going there in this post.  I want to talk about aesthetics.

I love looking at photographs.  It gives me ideas, it makes me think, it makes me a better photographer.  But I've got to admit, I don't feel that way when I follow someone's Instagram tweet link to check out their latest work of ...iPhoneography??  I will be the first to admit there are some interesting images, there are even some good images being put out there.  There's also a lot of images that leave me scratching my head.  It seems like a lot of photographers I loved to follow their work are leaving their Nikons and Canons at home and are walking around shooting mainly with their phone.  Or, their posting less and less of their DSLR work and filling the void with Instagram or Camera+, or KingCamera or 100cameras edited images.  Yes, I own all the apps mentioned above.  But the more I follow links to Instagram, the less and less I find myself using them.  When did Tack Sharp give way to Fuzzy Blurry.  I mean I've shown up at Instagram to look at what I'm being told is a chicken and all I see are some streaks of washed out color with no real discernible shape.   A couple shots is kind of neat, but it seems like it's becoming the new style for a lot of photographers.

Maybe I'm missing the point, maybe I haven't been shooting long enough with my DSLR to need a break from it.  Maybe it's the geek in me that wants to rebel against what all the cool kids are doing.  But I really want to point at a world class photographer or two and shout through a bullhorn "PUT THE iPHONE DOWN AND PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE DSLR..." and urge them to get back to the amazing photographs I used to love to look at, and leave the snapshots to the amateurs...

No comments:

Post a Comment