Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday Modifier: ??

So the other day a remembered I had a couple of Umbrella Softboxes that are the inverse of Westcott's Halo that I found for $25 a pair on Amazon.  http://bit.ly/vGL5AA

I had placed them in a bag and forgot about them as I dealt with a family medical issue.  As I am starting back shooting, I discovered these guys last week when setting up a portrait shoot.  I decided to try them out.  As the weather was unusually nice this weekend, I didn't spend as much time with them as I had hoped.  While the East Coast was getting socked in with snow, I was working up a sweat mowing the lawn and bagging leaves a couple states away in Ohio.

Suffice it to say, for under $13 each, these are nice to have in your bag.  They fit any strobe or even a constant light, and they give nice soft light at 40".  They're pretty close in size to the 43" Orb.  They're easier to angle then the Apollo's I've used because you're not bumping into the light stand with the limited zipper opening.  Now do they give the same nice light output an Orb is said to give in all the rave revue's I'm reading and hearing.  Syl Arena got a couple for a workshop he just did a week or so ago and he couldn't say enough good things on This Week in Photo about them.  I guess before I decide if these are acceptable replacements, I need to do a "shoot out".  Anyone want to loan me an Orb??

I'll post some images this week taken with the Umbrella Octaboxes as I call them.  I'll let you decide if they're worth $25 for the pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment