Sunday, December 25, 2011

Modifier Monday: Umbrella Octagon Softbox Brolly 120 cm

I had asked Santa for the Westcott ApolloTM Orb but apparently I was on the naughty list.  Not coal worthy, but alas no modifier's under the tree.  So after spending a couple days with little online time as I finished my holiday shopping, enjoyed watching my 9 year old daughter sing Christmas Carols and spent a day playing with said daughter and her Christmas toys (ok, I was a bad dad, I beat her at Yahtzee even after letting her cheat a little...with the crazy luck I had with the dice I should have hopped the first flight to Vegas!)


So returning back to the online world I found an offer for a 120cm (47.2 inch) umbrella octagon for under $50.  I love Westcott, really I do, but when I can buy 3 of these for the price of an Orb I had to order one. I might be premature in making this my modifier pick, but it had good reviews, comes with a case and free shipping directly from China.  I ordered a 28" umbrella softbox made by the same company and absolutely love it so I'm going to go with it.


In the next week or so when I get it I'll post some reactions and photos with this, the umbrella softbox mentioned above and the Saberstips I ordered on Black Friday.  If it's as good a deal as the 28" Softbox I'll post some info on how to get it.  I should be getting it this week or early next. 


I know it's not Monday yet in my time zone, but I thought I would post this a little early so I could add that I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday and got the gear they wished for.  If not, hopefully they'll be some good post holiday sales that will fill the void!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested in your review of this softbox. There's some talk about it over on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157628714438379/ . Also, could you direct me to the reviews about it that you mention?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still waiting on the umbrella from China. The company had 99% positive on 3400 reviews. The 60cm umbrella softbox I had ordered last fall was well built and came with a carrying case which was not listed and a couple people in a google chat said they were same quality as the softbox, so I risked $45 on it.

    I'll post a review and some pictures when it comes in. I'll also post some images with the 60cm softbox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area have an Apollo Orb? I would love to compare the two! I have a notification that the post office tried to drop the package off, so I should have them in my hands tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the Orb vs. Knock-off THROWDOWN
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157629076791371/

    ReplyDelete